What Is The Difference Between A Statement Of Attainment And A Statement Of Attendance?

    By Kevin Gawada Trainer at Ausinet – 9 March 2021 – Australian Institute of Electrotechnology

What Is A Statement Of Attainment?

A statement of attainment is a formal qualification that is Nationally recognised and comes with the unit codeThis indicates that you have attained the necessary competencies and completed the prerequisite units for a specific competency.

Some employers would accept a statement of attendance and others would require the statement of attainment.

statement of attainment statement of completion

What Is A Statement Of Attendance?

A statement of attendance states that you have attended the course and completed the training but does not give you the Nationally recognised unit code like UEENEEE101A it only describes the name of the unit without the code.


One could do a unit called ‘UEENEEE104A – Solve problem in DC circuits’ to achieve knowledge without doing any pre requisite. The prerequisite unit stipulated by ASQA which is the authority for all RTOs (Registered training organisations) in Australia is UEENEEE101A – Apply occupational health and safety regulations codes and practices in the workplace.

If you wish to achieve a statement of attainment for UEENEEE104A you must complete UEENEEE101A first. If you wish to learn “Solve problems in DC circuits” and do not want to complete the prerequisite unit UEENEEE101A then you could still complete the course but only receive a statement of attendance.

It is the same training but does not fit the rules of ASQA who have decided on the course codes. You will receive the same training but will not receive the course codes on the Certificate. This system of statement of attendance was specifically designed by RTOs for Employers who want to send their employees to do a specific training unit and do not want to pay for the prerequisite units as they deem it is not necessary. The RTO will only deliver training without prerequisite units if it is safe to do so.

On some occasions, students might want to do a certain unit but it is not possible for the RTO to deliver it regardless of what the student or employer wishes. For example, one cannot do Advanced PLC without completing the prerequisite unit Basic PLC. In this case, the RTO will deny admission to the student for Advanced PLC as the trainer cannot teach the student unless the student has enough knowledge of Basic PLC.

There are ASQA compliant LMS (learning management systems) like Etutor LMS that will automatically detect prerequisite units. This is done so that student does not get admission into a course without the required prerequisite unit. It is important to have a foolproof system to avoid unnecessary work that is caused by incorrect enrolments and refund processes.

ASQA Guidelines for Certificates

Click here to check out the ASQA Guidelines for Certificates.

Last reviewed date: 09/03/2021

Recent Posts

Share this article :

7 thoughts on “What is the Difference between a statement of Attainment and a Statement of Attendance?”

  1. Can I transform a statement of attendance in a statement of attainment if I get the relevant prerequisites?

    1. It depends, for example if you are an electrical apprentice and you are finishing your last year and you would like to undertake a solar course, you are able to do the course but would only get your statement of attainment once you have your Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician which is a prerequisite for the course. In the meantime, you could get a statement of attendance.

    1. Yes, it states that you have attained the required competencies and have completed the prerequisite units for a certain competency. Some colleges address it as completion and some address it as attainment. The more common term is “statement of attainment”. The above definitions are typically relevant to registered training organisations delivering Nationally recognised training. Colleges delivering non-accredited training do not fall under the same scrutiny so they can call it anything they like but they will not have the nationally recognised unit codes in front of the unit. For E.g., UEENEEE101A – Apply Occupational Health and Safety regulations, codes, and practices in the workplace can only be issued with a certificate of attainment or completion with the preceding code. Non-accredited colleges can deliver safety training and certificate, but they cannot issue the above code.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top